IBM Cloud Pak® for Applications is an enterprise-ready, containerized software solution for modernizing existing applications and developing new cloud-native apps that run on Red Hat® OpenShift®.
Built on IBM WebSphere® offerings and Red Hat OpenShift Container Platform with IBM Accelerators for Teams, Cloud Pak for Applications provides a long-term solution to help you transition between public, private and hybrid clouds, and create new business applications. Cloud Pak for Applications also provides:
- Modernization tools such as IBM Cloud Transformation Advisor to assist with your move to the cloud.
- Developer tools such as Eclipse Codewind to build and deploy your new cloud-native applications with the IDE of your choice.
- Entitlement to IBM Cloud Private to provide a transition path to OpenShift.
- Containerized mobile back-end services such as IBM Mobile Foundation covering comprehensive security, application lifecycle management, offline data sync, back-end integration, push notifications, analytics and app store. You can install Cloud Pak for Applications on a supported version of Red Hat OpenShift Container Platform in any public or private cloud.
- Develop innovative cloud-native applications with the tools and runtime of your choice.
- Modernize your applications faster and make them more secure. Cloud Pak for Applications speeds development of applications built for Kubernetes to access cloud services.
- Run your existing applications where they are and deploy your modernized and new cloud-native applications to the cloud in containers.
- Rapidly build and deploy the next generation of multi-channel and engaging digital apps, including mobile, wearables, conversation, web and PWAs.
Key Offerings Included With IBM Cloud Pak for Applications
IBM Cloud Pak for Applications provides several software offerings in one bundle. You can choose to deploy some or all the purchased software.
IBM WebSphere Application Server
WebSphere Application Server, with its traditional and Liberty runtimes, offers production-ready, standards-based Java™ EE compliant architectures. WebSphere runtimes in DevOps workflows make it easy to integrate WebSphere into modern toolchains and DevOps implementations. This enables secure, flexible and efficient access to internal or external software components and services. WebSphere support for IBM Cloud Private, public clouds, traditional servers and Docker container deployments provides seamless hybrid topologies.
Cloud Pak for Applications includes the WebSphere Application Server Network Deployment, WebSphere Application Server and WebSphere Liberty Core editions.
Red Hat OpenShift Container Platform
Red Hat OpenShift is a leading enterprise Kubernetes platform that provides a security-focused, consistent foundation to deliver applications anywhere and with streamlined developer workflows to get to market faster. Red Hat OpenShift delivers a comprehensive solution for hybrid cloud, enterprise container, and Kubernetes development and deployments. It includes an enterprise-grade Linux® operating system, container runtime, networking, monitoring, container registry, authentication and authorization solutions. These components are tested together for unified operations on a complete Kubernetes platform that spans every cloud.
IBM Accelerators for Teams
IBM Accelerators for Teams integrates with, extends and adds value to Red Hat OpenShift.
Accelerators for Teams offers a microservices-based framework that simplifies development, build and deployment of applications for both Kubernetes and Knative (serverless).
IBM Cloud Transformation Advisor
Transformation Advisor helps you plan, prioritize and package your on-premises workloads for modernization on Cloud Pak for Applications. Transformation Advisor gathers preferences about your on-premises, and wanted cloud environments, and then analyzes existing middleware deployments by using a data collector. After you upload the results of the data collector, you can review recommendations for migrating your applications to different cloud platforms and the estimated effort to migrate and modernize. Transformation Advisor also creates necessary deployment artifacts to accelerate your migration into Cloud Pak for Applications.
IBM Application Navigator
IBM Application Navigator is a tool that helps you visualize, inspect and monitor the deployed resources in applications, with a single view across hybrid deployments. After you modernize your applications, you can use Application Navigator to define cloud applications, import Network Deployment cells or Liberty collectives to visualize both existing and containerized applications, add your modernized applications to cloud applications, and otherwise administer cloud-native and hybrid applications. Application Navigator extends the open-source Kubernetes Application Navigator (kAppNav) with integrated support for WebSphere Application Server Network Deployment and Liberty.
Red Hat Runtimes
Red Hat Runtimes provides a set of open runtimes, tools, and components for developing and maintaining cloud-native applications. It offers lightweight runtimes and frameworks for highly distributed cloud architectures, such as microservices.
IBM Cloud Private
IBM Cloud Private is an integrated platform for developing and managing containerized applications. You can deploy this private, integrated environment behind firewalls and manage or control it in flexible options as dictated by the needs of your public sector enterprise. It is built on open-source frameworks and the container orchestrator Kubernetes, and contains a private image repository, a management console, monitoring tools, and a robust catalog of services. It also enables integrations to popular open source and cloud-native tools, as well as IBM application middleware and development services.
IBM Mobile Foundation
IBM Mobile Foundation offers a secured platform for developers to rapidly build and deploy the next generation of digital apps, including mobile, wearables, conversation, web and PWAs. With Mobile Foundation, developers get containerized mobile back-end services covering comprehensive security, application lifecycle management, push notifications, feature toggle, offline sync and back-end integration. The platform also ships a low-code studio, private Appstore, and rich SDKs for widely used mobile frameworks for both native and hybrid developers.
IBM Cloud Pak for Applications DevOps Add-On V3.0
The Cloud DevOps offering is a complement to Cloud Pak for Applications for two major use cases:
- Cloud Native: For agencies and organizations concerned about DevOps governance and auditability, Cloud DevOps tracks and reports who deployed what-where-when when layered over open source or on its own. Orchestrates multiple pipelines when apps have many DevTeams contributing.
- Modernization: As the public sector continues to modernize applications, there will be a mix of new and existing apps as they innovate and use their existing investments. IBM Cloud DevOps enables continuous delivery of these multicloud applications and can deploy any application anywhere: from tWAS on VMs, to z Systems, to containers on Kubernetes, and to public/private clouds, and integration with other deployment tools such as Tekton and Jenkins.